What type of beats contract do I need?

October 15, 2013

Dear Music Lawyer,

Is their a contract where I can have a music beat maker give up their master rights for a small payment that myself and the producer agree on?


Dear Johnnie,

There are lots of different types of beats agreements. If you want to purchase the beats outright so that you own the beats, then you should request an exclusive assignment of all rights to the beats.

There is no set fee for the purchase of beats, though it's typically more expensive to purchase the beats than to lease them or to obtain a non-exclusive license to use them. If you and the producer agree that a small fee is reasonable compensation, that shouldn't affect the validity of the contract.

—Amy E. Mitchell

AskaMusicLawyer.com is maintained by experienced Austin music lawyer Amy E. Mitchell. Please feel free to ask any music law related questions. You will be notified by email when your question has been selected for response, and the response will be posted on this site.

Please note that no responses are guaranteed, and responses provided on this site do not constitute legal advice and may be edited or removed at any time. The purpose of AskaMusicLawyer.com is solely to educate and inform musicians and music professionals about legal issues in the music industry. Accordingly, any posted responses are merely intended to give you general legal insight in order to point you in the right direction.